YES! Please send me a FREE brochure with course info, pricing and more!
Some of today's fastest growing healthcare careers are in the field of health informatics. Today’s health information professionals are expected to know how to manage digital databases of information, which means an understanding of data privacy and security is also necessary.
As hospitals, health insurers, and pharmaceutical companies continue to onboard health informatics professionals, those who obtain proper education and training are more likely to realize the benefits of having multiple employment opportunities.
Our Graduate Certificate in Health Informatics clears the path for quick entry into this field, one of the fastest-growing careers in healthcare. This 100% online program offers the chance to earn graduate-level credit in as quickly as eight months, and the best part is, if you want to continue on and earn your degree, all 12 credits will apply!
According to the American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA), health informatics jobs are surging as employers look for very specific, hard-to-find skills to fill key positions. With a Graduate Certificate in Health Informatics, you’ll learn how to create, analyze and manage health and medical information to promote better collaboration among healthcare providers and improve patient outcomes.
Is a Certificate in Health Informatics Right for You?
Having the right education and training is critical to landing a position and advancing in this quickly growing field. While a master’s degree in health informatics is one of the healthcare industry’s most valued degrees, USF Health’s Graduate Certificate in Health Informatics can be an ideal solution for experienced and busy working professionals who may not need a master’s degree to launch a health informatics career.
For example, a graduate certificate may be perfect to shift a career into health informatics for those who already have a degree or experience in healthcare, information technology or an analytical discipline.
Hospitals and other healthcare organizations may extend job offers to internal clinical staff such as RNs contingent upon earning additional health informatics training that a certificate could satisfy. Due to the changes that health informatics is driving in how patient information is recorded and stored, medical coding and records specialists may also benefit from earning a certificate.
Many pharmacists who are looking for a change from the retail pharmacy industry are also excellent candidates for a graduate certificate. The same holds true for those involved in peripheral healthcare occupations, such as medical device sales or pharmaceutical sales. Of course, it’s best to explore local resources and job markets to determine specific opportunities available.
Why the University of South Florida?
- USF Health is a HIMSS Approved Education Partner (AEP), a distinction reserved for institutions that meet HIMSS’ rigorous standards for delivering world-class, effective healthcare and health IT education.
- U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks the University of South Florida as one of the top National and Regional universities in its America’s Best Colleges listing. USF also ranks among U.S. News & World Report’s best online schools and best public colleges and universities (2016).
- U.S. News & World Report lists USF Health’s Morsani College of Medicine as one of 2016’s Best Medical Schools.
- USF Health's Morsani College of Medicine is known nationally for its innovative curriculum with an emphasis on improving healthcare through interprofessional education, research and clinical activities.
- USF Health's Morsani College of Medicine is uniquely equipped to focus on integrating health informatics with modern healthcare delivery. Trained clinicians with experience working in hospital wards, emergency rooms and clinics are best qualified to blend informatics with medical knowledge and have special insight into the tools required for healthcare decision making.
- U.S. News & World Report ranks a number of USF’s graduate programs among the top 100 Best Graduate Schools (2016 ).
What You'll Learn
Students will have exposure to a wide range of health informatics activities through USF Health’s Morsani College of Medicine. By integrating informatics and clinical sciences in a modern patient-care setting, the University of South Florida’s Graduate Certificate in Health Informatics gives students the education and knowledge needed to build a career and thrive in the fast-growing health informatics field.
Earning a graduate certificate allows busy professionals who want to move into health informatics a chance to do so without the time and financial commitment of earning a master’s degree. Graduates from the program learn the latest processes for electronic storage and secure sharing of vital patient medical records, as well as integrating informatics and clinical sciences with quality patient care.
Subjects studies include:
See sample curriculum here.
textbooks and materials
required for each specific term.
The University of South Florida is regionally accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) to award degrees in the baccalaureate, master’s, specialist and doctoral levels.
An education at USF provides excellent preparation for a career in healthcare. Our Graduate Certificate in Health Informatics prepares students for careers in both the private and public sector of the healthcare industry.
Job titles include:
- Health Information Technician
- Clinical Documentation Specialist
- Health Information Manager
- Healthcare IT Project Manager
- Health IT Consultant
This program also opens the door for tech-savvy medical professionals who want a career change.
Who Should Enroll?
Whether you're a health informatics professional looking to advance your career with new credentials on your resume, or you're interested in transitioning into health informatics from another career, a Graduate Certificate in Health Informatics positions you to meet the growing demand for health informatics experts. This program is especially designed for:
- Medical Students
- Physical Therapists
- Mental Health Workers
- Other Healthcare Providers
- IT Professionals
- Health Information Manager